Monday, November 12, 2012

He Keeps Me Singing


HYMN WRITER: Luther B. Bridgers

HYMN HISTORY: He served as an evangelist in the American South and in mission work in Belgium, Czechoslovakia, and Russia. He pastored in Georgia and North Carolina before retiring in 1945 in Gainesville, Georgia.  A preacher, Luther Bridges, was born in 1884, he married Sarah Veatch and three lovely sons were born of their union. Pastor Bridges accepted an invitation to minister at a conference in Kentucky in the year 1910, so he left his family in the care of his father-in-law and made the trip to Kentucky. There, two wonderful weeks of ministry resulted. The last service closed with great joy and he was excited to be called to the telephone. He couldn't wait to tell his wife about all the blessings. 

But it wasn't her voice on that long distance line. He listened in silence to the news that a fire had burned down the house of his father-in-law and his wife and all three of his sons had died in the blaze. That distraught father leaned heavily on His Savior and expressed his faith in God during a tearful moment by penning words to the hymn…He Keeps Me Singing

BIBLE VERSE:  Psalm 100:1-2 - Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.

HYMN LYRICS:

There’s within my heart a melody
Jesus whispers sweet and low,
Fear not, I am with thee, peace, be still,
In all of life’s ebb and flow.

Refrain
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus,
Sweetest Name I know,
Fills my every longing,
Keeps me singing as I go.

All my life was wrecked by sin and strife,
Discord filled my heart with pain,
Jesus swept across the broken strings,
Stirred the slumbering chords again.

Refrain

Feasting on the riches of His grace,
Resting ’neath His sheltering wing,
Always looking on His smiling face,
That is why I shout and sing.

Refrain

Though sometimes He leads through waters deep,
Trials fall across the way,
Though sometimes the path seems rough and steep,
See His footprints all the way.

Refrain

Soon He’s coming back to welcome me,
Far beyond the starry sky;
I shall wing my flight to worlds unknown,
I shall reign with Him on high.

Refrain

2 comments:

  1. Praise God for the steadfastness of Pastor Luther B. Bridgers. Despite his tragedy of losing his wife and three sons, he is filled with peace and calm for God's melody rings in his heart. God knows and cares always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up singing this hymn in The Church in the Barn, El Monte, California. It's such a joyful tune! I had no idea Brother Bridges' song was born out of such unspeakable sorrow.
    But isn't it just like our Jesus to give each of us a song in our darkest night. HE is faithful who promised.

    ReplyDelete

Bible