Monday, October 22, 2012

Be Still My Soul


SONG WRITER: Katharina von Schlegel                       

MUSIC BY: Jean Sibelius

HYMN HISTORY: Each revival is also remember for a famous hymn. During the 16th century Reformation, it was "A Mighty Fortress is Our God." But after a time, the churches of the Reformation became stale and ritualistic again. In the latter half of the 17th century we hear of a new hymn and a new revival breaking out in Germany. Our new hymn is "Be Still, My Soul." And the themes of our new revival were: "Life versus doctrine," "Reality versus the appearance of godliness." This was the revival of Pietism.
"Be Still, My Soul" really had three person who put it together as the hymn we sing today. Katharina von Schlegel, a notable woman of the Pietism Revival , wrote the words, originally in German. One hundred years later the hymn was translated into English, fortunately for us, by Jane Borthwick. And our last contributor was Finland's greatest-composer, Jean Sibelius. One movement from his "Finlandia" is used as the tune for our hymn. God used three people from three countries to put together a hymn that teaches us that God is in control and to wait on Him.

BIBLE VERSE:  Psalms 46:10Be still, and know that I am God.

HYMN LYRICS:
Be still, my soul--
The Lord is on thy side!
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide.
In ev'ry change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul--
Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend 
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul! thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul! the waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul! the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul! when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

8 comments:

  1. I love this hymn so much! Music and lyrics, both. I am moved and inspired every time I think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kathleen, that's my experience too. God bless you.

      Delete
  2. It has helped bring me close to our Lord, during many tough times, Understand the importance of suffering for our maturity.

    Thank you Almighty God, and Father. May you teach this generation the importance of suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This song was the answer I needed when I was faced with leaving an abusive marriage. I was so conflicted on how I was going to make it etc. Laying in bed one morning, this song came to my mind, well the tune did. It wasn't a tune I was familiar with so I got up and searched for it and came across a video of David Archuleta singing it. I then googled up the lyrics and as I read them I just cried, I knew God was giving me the answer I was looking for and the strength to do it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, I just read your post and had to tell you I had the exact same experience. I was familiar with the melody because of an instrumental CD I had 20 years ago. In a moment of questioning my current situation, that melody began to play in my mind. I did the work to find the hymn and could not believe the message. I also began to cry.

      Delete
    2. Same here in 2021. Waiting on the Lord in silence, I heard this melody...knew it from my now deceased mother singing it years ago. I looked up the lyrics and understood the Lord's message to me. It's a reminder of what he said to me:
      "You trust Me with your past, You trust Me with your present. Trust me with your future."
      What a blessing!

      Delete
  4. When I look at all the wonderful gifts I have been given starting with my parents in India, and the various trials and tribulatons I have as an individual and subsequently as a husband and father experienced,I can only Praise the Lord for all his Blessings in all of lifes happiness,trials and tribulations
    I am here today,at age 75 in this temporal life only by the Grace of God!
    Yes Be still My Soul!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband,son and I contracted covid19 August this year 2021 I was in hospital for 11 days after coming home my husband and son nursed me back to health on 22nd September my husband passed away after suffering two strokes the above hymn has really comforted me in my grief and reminds me yes God is truly with me in all trials and joys in my life

    ReplyDelete

Bible