Wednesday, October 31, 2012

O Jesus, I Have Promised


SONG WRITER: John Bode       

MUSIC WRITER: Arthur Mann         

HYMN HISTORY: John Ernest Bode was an Anglican clergyman serving a small parish near Cambridge, England when his three children, a daughter and two sons, were ready for confirmation.  Bode not only presided over their confirmation, but also wrote this hymn especially for the occasion –– telling the children that the hymn included "all the important truths I want you to remember." 

The hymn was originally, "O Jesus, We Have Promised" –– in view of the fact that more than one child was involved in the confirmation.  Changed to "O Jesus, I Have Promised," it serves as a fitting hymn of commitment for every Christian.  It not only reminds us of the promises that we have made to Jesus, but it also asks Jesus to protect us from the dangers and temptations posed by the world –– and it reminds us that Jesus has made promises too –– that Jesus promised that we will live with him in glory.

BIBLE VERSE:      Hebrews 6:11 – And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence so as to realize the full assurance of hope until the end.”

HYMN LYRICS:

O Jesus, I have promised
  To serve Thee to the end;
Be Thou forever near me,
  My Master and my Friend;
I shall not fear the battle
  If Thou art by my side,
Nor wander from the pathway
  If Thou wilt be my Guide.

Oh, let me feel Thee near me;
  The world is ever near;
I see the sights that dazzle,
  The tempting sounds I hear;
My foes are ever near me,
  Around me and within;
But, Jesus, draw Thou nearer,
  And shield my soul from sin.


O Jesus, Thou hast promised
  To all who follow Thee
That where Thou art in glory
  There shall Thy servant be;
And Jesus, I have promised
  To serve Thee to the end;
Oh, give me grace to follow,
  My Master and my Friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bible